Friday, September 5, 2014

Exercise is Awesome // Support Your Local Library

Recently, I went on an approximately 26 mile biking trip. Now, to some of you that may seem short and easy, to others that may seem long. I’m in the latter category. Prior to university, the longest I had biked was 7 miles, and I was completely worn after that. During the early years of middle school, I was a chubby child. It was only when I got my major growth spurt that I began to thin out, but even then the thinning was merely aesthetic. I was not by any means fit. I stayed this way until I joined my high school’s ultimate team, at which point I began to get somewhat into shape. I still struggled, however, with my stamina. My biggest obstacle, in terms of fitness, throughout my life has been my stamina when exercising. So when I say I biked 26 miles, I’m saying it in the way a parent announces that their eldest child has graduated high school: with pride and astonishment. It’s not that I doubted that I’d make it so much as I failed to believe it—a difference I’ll leave you to think about.
I’m not here to brag about my personal achievements, though. Okay, I am a little, but mostly I’m here to talk to you about my thoughts, so here they are: exercise is the single most painful and despicable fun thing you could ever do, and I’d encourage each and every one of you to do it. Get off of your computer (not yet! You should finish this first.) and get outside. If you’re already super fit, then great! If not, that’s okay. I’m not really all that fit, either. Just go out there and do something, be it a walk, a run, a bike ride, or whatever. Get some aerobic exercise today, and keep doing it. It’s so rewarding.
Anyway. Back to the trip. I biked 26 miles with my girlfriend from campus down to her parents’ house. While down there, we went to the local library which was having their annual book sale. We found stacks and stacks of good books ranging from young adult to adult, fantasy to mystery, and so on. The best part? These books were incredibly reasonable in their pricing, and all the money went to support the library.
Most libraries in my area have some sort of book sale, be it annual or monthly or whatever. I always love going, because I find such great deals on quality books. More importantly, though, I support the local library. Libraries are, sadly, a dying breed. They are underfunded and underappreciated in many areas. Many of the people who are left using these establishments are only hardcore readers and elderly folks with plenty of time. The number of youth who use the library is dwindling. I’m here to encourage you to go out and support your library. Check out a book, attend the book sale, maybe even make a donation. Your library is a fantastic resource with hundreds of books for pleasure or research. Not into books? Most libraries also have a fantastic selection of movies, music, and sometimes even games! The library closest to my current apartment happens to be incredibly small, but I’m continually amazed by their amazing selection of quality films.
So get some exercise and support quality local establishments by walking, running, or biking on down to your nearest library. If you’re not familiar with your local library, then I’d encourage you to swing by and check it out.  Get exercise and a good book/film!  Not sure what to check out? Talk to the librarians there! Librarians have a vast knowledge of the content in their libraries and will be more than happy to help you find something to suit your interests.

Encouraging you to get off your computer, get out there, and get a good book,

I’m Michael, and this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts to add? Leave a comment!