Friday, September 12, 2014

Back to School // Tick Tick & Magic the Gathering

School has started. True, it started a couple weeks ago, but at the end of my second week I’m really feeling the effects of being back to classes with homework and whatnot. Almost as soon as the semester started, I became perpetually tired. It’s not like I’m getting insufficient sleep or eating poorly or anything, I’m just inexplicably tired.
The worst part of being back in school, though, has to be the complete and sheer amount of homework and the consequential lack of free time. I work about 14 hours per week, and I am taking four classes, all of which have required weekly reading, and three of which have required weekly writing. I wouldn’t say I’m swamped, but if I chose to, I could spend all of my ‘free time’ doing homework. No matter how much I do, it almost always feels like there’s something more I could be doing.
One of the best decisions I’ve made thus far this school year is to stay organized. Aside from just getting folders and notebooks for each class, I’ve downloaded an app on my computer and phone called Tick Tick. Tick Tick is a to-do list app that allows you to create multiple projects (for me, these are my classes, as well as a section for errands and such). It allows you to prioritize your tasks so that you can see what’s most important and what you could maybe save until later. Most importantly, you can set reminders/due dates for your tasks, which will pop up on your phone to help keep you on track.
But even with all my homework and such, I still hold true to my philosophy, though: always make some time for true, glorious, relaxing free time. I’m not saying I don’t do my homework, or that you shouldn’t do yours. That would be a terrible decision, really. I’m just saying that I’d recommend that you, like me, make sure to structure your weeks so that you get a little free time each day if possible. It helps keep me sane, really.
Personally, I find that Magic the Gathering (a long-running, extremely popular trading card game) is a fantastic way to unwind. One of my flatmates collects with me, and we frequently build, tweak, and rebuild decks, all the while testing them to see if they work well. Once you get the general gist of the game (which is pretty easy), it becomes fun to try and build a solid deck. It’s an expensive hobby (though not as expensive as some other hobbies), but it’s so much fun. Even if MTG isn’t for you, find or choose at least one hobby or activity to do frequently during your free time to help you unwind.

Reminding all you students (and, really, everyone) to relax, stay organized, and stay sane,

I’m Michael, and this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts to add? Leave a comment!